Friday 14 March 2008

Bill Hopkinson - Senior Lecturer in Drama, Edge Hill University


Dear Judie and Richard,

May I add one more voice to the chorus of condemnation that is greeting ACW’s short-sighted and poorly thought through proposal to cut CPR’s funding. I have been coming to Giving Voice since the early nineties, and cannot think of a more vibrant, multicultural or inspiring meeting place for artists.

Traveling the country as Literary Manager for Sgript Cymru between 2000 and 2004 I was continually meeting young artists, writers and performers who had been inspired by time spent with CPR. I am speaking of the emerging generation of Welsh performing artists who in so many respects are so poorly served by ACW elsewhere. To suggest that CPR is not a “frontline” organization betrays a lack of understanding of how emerging performers, and indeed those more advanced in their careers, are sustained and nurtured.

I can also think of no organization in Wales which has so consistently and visibly placed the nation on the international stage; as the growing list of dissenting voices from around the world testifies. I will be in Aberystwyth once again in a few weeks time, I anticipate that my own work will be once again renewed and inspired by the extraordinary meeting which is Giving Voice: I sincerely hope to be able to say the same again in the future.


Yours in sorrow


Bill Hopkinson
Senior Lecturer in Drama, Edgehill University, Lancashire.
Literary Manager, Sgript Cymru 2000-2004

No comments: