Friday 21 March 2008

Bob Godfrey - Head of Theatre Studies, University of Northampton, 1975-2000.

Reference: Proposed cut in ACW Grant to CPR, 2008

To whom it may concern:

As a former Associate Member of CPR I am writing in support of the work of the Centre.
It is unique in the United Kingdom for having provided sustained access to and a study centre for understanding the most vital creative work in theatre and performance over many years. This has placed it in the international field. It has been able to bring together both theatre professionals and academics in the UK giving them unprecedented access to the widest experience of practice and innovation available from across the world.


While Head of a Theatre Studies Department in the 1980s and 90s I know that colleagues and myself gained immeasurable benefit from the opportunities set up by CPR though workshops and conferences with leading practitioners. It is without doubt that performance curricula in Universities and Colleges across the UK have been enhanced by these experiences.


Similarly CPR’s work will have contributed greatly to professional practice in the UK. Not only did I have the privilege of hosting performances by their own theatre company but also of European theatre companies introduced through them. All in all, therefore, CPR have to date made an inimitable contribution to theatre understanding in the UK. I see no dimming of their enthusiasm or reach in this respect.


Now retired I have developed interests that take me on other journeys in the arts but I remain an interested and enthusiastic supporter of the work of CPR and cannot imagine the world of Theatre and Performance Studies without them as an essential ingredient. As ACW has said ‘a vital and prestigious player in the arts.’ A phrase that suggests it would be self-defeating to withdraw their grant and, some might say, persevere, even perfidious.

I fully support opposition to the curtailment of the ACW grant to CPR. I would like my name to be added to any petition or representation as required.

Bob Godfrey,
Head of Theatre Studies, University of Northampton, 1975-2000.

No comments: