Tuesday 11 March 2008

Electa Behrens - D-MOOR, Oslo

Dear Judie and Richard,

I will have to begin this letter repeating the same words with which many of our common colleagues have opened their letters to you - but I must do this because there are no words more to the point: I am deeply saddened to hear of the Arts Council's ill-advised decision in your case. None of us in independent arts organizations are in it for the fat pension checks or fancy vacations, but we all do hope that continuity of good work will be noticed and rewarded. The quality of an individual piece of art is always debatable, that is the nature of our field. However, qualities such as: continuity of programming, positive effects on the community, fostering of individual artists, founding of world renowned festivals and responsible business practices ARE quantifiable. CPR's excellence on all of these fronts makes the Arts Council's decision seem unfounded and confused.

I first met CPR in 2002, as an intern. At this time, you introduced me to many major artists who have shaped my career, and taught me important lessons about the human and business elements of organizing artistic events. After this initial meeting, I went on to work in many countries around Europe and found consistently that CPR was named as one of the main organizations in the UK and definitely the only one in Wales, which was actively connected to the strong currents present on the continent. In 2006, I came back to CPR to work. I found that you had grown as a company: further developing your program of workshops, attracting qualified and dedicated collaborators - in the office and on the stage, furthering international partnerships through networks and co-projects and being honored with the gift of a new working space in the heart of the university campus. It seemed clear that your continued dedication and foresight were bringing good things to Wales and bringing CPR, Wales and the UK out to good things.

Although I am proud of your accomplishments, as a fellow artist can be proud of a colleague, I have to admit that I write this letter out of purely selfish reasons. Currently, I am starting a freelance group in Norway. Norway looks very much towards the UK for models regarding how to organize its funding system for the arts. The UK's Arts Council decision in your case is a very dangerous message to Norway, and the world. It seems to say: do not use continuity of quality work as a deciding factor when funding artists. For my part, I certainly hope that Norway doesn't listen to such advice.

But what to advise?

Put your face into the stiff welsh wind with joy and the sun will break over the sea.

All the best,

Electa Behrens
--
D-MOOR
Oslo


Webside: http://www.dmoor.com/

No comments: