Tuesday 18 March 2008

Simon Whitehead - Artist, Ceredigion, Wales

Judie and Richard,

It has taken me a while to respond to your situation in written form, a while to assimilate what is happening in relation to the wider culture of 'rationalisation' and risk reduction.

My relationship with CPR goes back.
In the early nineties I was sent to a CPR workshop whilst a young, 'green' dancer with Ludus Dance Co., to widen my experience..later that year, and partly influenced by my 'experience', I left the company to make my own work in London.

I came to 'Performance and Shamanism', the images are fleeting now, but the work I was exposed to was to become formative and soon after I left London to work in Wales with Scott de La hunta.

Later, and in 'Mapping Wales' the journey I made with Rachel Rosenthal remains with me and although I was the physical guide, Rachel continues to be a voice of guidance in my practice.

So, CPR has, as i am sure is the case with many other artists/ practitioners, been invaluable in 'opening up Worlds' at different points in a working career.

I am grateful for the experiences CPR has offered, I hope that this time offers reflection for the Organisation and the wider community, both here in Wales and Internationally.

A reflection that considers the need for risk taking, the evolution of new and relevant forums and how artists and organisations can continue to muster each others voices in difficult times.

I wish you well,

Simon Whitehead

Artist
Ceredigion, Wales

No comments: