Wednesday 5 March 2008

Colleen Lanki - Performing Artist, Canada

Dear Judie Christie and Richard Gough,


I am writing this short letter of support with a true feeling of dismay at the possible funding changes you are facing. I have never been to the CPR or to Wales, but I have looked upon your programs and publications with a dream in my heart of someday having a centre like the CPR in Vancouver, Canada. I have wanted for years to travel to Wales to visit the CPR, and in fact your activities and publications have made me think that Wales is truly a place of innovative, adventurous theatre creators.

The incredible balance of national and international, and between independent artistic practice and scholarly research that I perceive as happening at the CPR is something to be aspired to. Rather than facing a sudden loss of funding, I would think the ACW and the arts councils worldwide should be leaping over themselves to start satellite “Centres for Performance Research” around the world.

One issue facing artists in Western Canada is how often it is only short-term projects that receive funding, making the development of any long-term infrastructure difficult to impossible. I can only hope that the ACW continues to support the CPR in a meaningful and long-term way.


Yours truly,


Colleen Lanki

Independent Performing Artist
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Theatre and Film, University of British Columbia

Canada
www.colleenlanki.com

No comments: