Monday 3 March 2008

Eva Maria Gauß

Dear CPR,

I am working at the cultural foundation of Germany, I am also scholar and practitioner, and I value your work a lot - from this three points of professional view.

Since I have been to the extraordinary event of "Pastmasters Decroux Symposium" in 1997 CPR has been a continuous center of knowledge and worldwide meeting point in my studies and professional research.

It is unnecessary to tell, that of course for my theoretical work at the department of theatre studies in Leipzig and now at the department for voice in Halle /Saale the CPR with its practice-based research has been a main resource. This kind of research and worldwide resource for practitioners could not work only within the structure of a university, as this institution works with its own rules. From my work in the cultural foundation of Germany I know, that underlying such a decision there may be political concepts of funding, but I also know that if there is political will, such an institution may be supported in future in a reasonable way. With this profile and its extraordinary standing, project funding is not adequate for the work of CPR. As I have seen by the compare of many institutions through my work, I saw that the continuous trust of the local supporters and lobbyists, is basic for the live and grow of an institution.

Of course, for such an international work of CPR, there should be found ways in future to manage an international funding, as it is an international duty to do this kind of meetings and research - but if the local supporters weaken the structure, there won't be a chance to built up an international funding.

The cultural foundation of Germany is just starting a project "international theatre-partnerships", globalisation in theatre work will more and more continue, and for doing this in a proper artistically reflected way we need institutions like the CPR.

I would have never heard of Aberystwyth without CPR. If the CPR won't have resources in future for visitors, the reasons to come to Aberystwyth will be less. I wanted to come in 2009 for studies and networking, as the CPR had been a "Role Model" as institution where we here in Germany can learn from.

I hope that the local supporters will find cooperative ways to make your work possible in future - the effectiveness and the outreach of an institution, its profile and the content of CPR should make clear, that a reliable funding is necessary.

Best wishes
Eva Maria Gauß

Germany

No comments: