Tuesday 26 February 2008

Jen Walke - Artsadmin

Dear Judy and Richard,

I am writing to say how shocked and sad I am that CPR is to have its annual revenue funding cut. As you know my internship at CPR from October 2006 – April 2007 was invaluable to me as my first opportunity for professional development in the arts after graduating, leading to paid employment and an enjoyable developing career as an emerging producer. Without the support offered by the internship programme at CPR I would not be where I am today. The internship allowed me time and resources to gain an insight into the workings of an internationally recognised and highly acclaimed theatre organisation, working alongside the Marketing and Development Director.

The timing of my internship was at the point when CPR moved into its new building within the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, little more than 1 year ago. This was a massive change and development for CPR, they were finally given the space needed after 30 years of ground-breaking work in Wales with little such acknowledgment. A new theatre/studio space, an excellent position within the University, close to the Theatre, Film and Television Department, CPR were able to house properly its fantastic resource centre, logically near to the departments’ students and in comfortable weatherproof surroundings! It was always, however, in this transition period, a constant negotiation between CPR and UWA to yes, affiliate with the University, but to also maintain CPR’s identity as its own arts organisation, working alongside the University and collaborating with its staff and students, with its own set of creative aims and objectives and international partners.

I do hope that ACW revoke their decision, so that CPR are able to continue their excellent work, for which professionals travel from around the world to take part in. It would be foolish not to.

Best wishes,

Jen Walke
Projects Assistant
Artsadmin

No comments: