Monday 25 February 2008

Phillip Zarilli -theatre director, actor trainer, teacher, and author, Wales

Arts Council of Wales

To Whom it May Concern:

I work internationally as a theatre director, actor trainer, teacher, and author. I have an international reputation. In 1999 I moved to Wales. Why? Because of the innovative programming and work of the Centre for Performance Research. I first came to Wales in 1995 when CPR invited me to be part of its incredibly exciting ‘Past Masters’ series of events—this one focusing on Meyerhold. I was immediately struck by the tremendously creative programming that brought together an internationally diverse set of professional actors, directors, scholars, and students to focus upon, learn about, explore with, and reflect upon the work/approach of one of the great masters of the Western theatre tradition. My initial enthusiasm for CPR’s innovative and exciting programming was not short-lived. I attended other events they organized and I was invited to return to Wales several times by CPR. I gave intensive workshops for actors and directors exposing them to my own unique approach to training actors in psychophysical process through Asian martial arts and yoga. I said to myself, ‘if theatre in Wales (and the UK) is benefiting from this type of artistic programming, perhaps I should consider moving to Wales to be in an environment where such work is valued.’ Coming from the US where such ongoing, subsidized, innovative programming is seldom (if ever) encountered, I made the decision to move to West Wales, close to CPR’s new home in Aberystwyth.

The recent news that CPR’s core funding is to be terminated is shocking. The kind of long-term, innovative programming that CPR invented, has sustained, and more recently been (often poorly) copied by other organizations MUST continue, and MUST CONTINUE IN WALES. CPR is one of Wales’ unique cultural treasures. It is a resource that inspires working professionals from Wales, the UK, and beyond these shores. Ongoing, core funding is NECESSARY for the kind of long-term programming that CPR has undertaken. Quite simply, major programming such as PAST MASTERS, GIVING VOICE, SUMMER SHIFT, etc. would be impossible to sustain without core funding. CPR has been a magnet drawing people to experience what Wales has to offer within an international programming environment. CPR helps Wales take its place on an international stage.

CPR’s work takes place between more conventional theatre and the constantly shifting cutting edge of performance work. As such it serves to build bridges between more conventional approaches to acting/performance and innovative experimentation.

My own work reflects this mix. Just so that ACW is aware of some of my activities, I am currently directing Kaite O’Reilly’s new play, The Almond and the Seahorse, at Sherman Cymru. Immediately after the production opens I travel to Seoul, Korea for a three month residency where I’ll be directing the Korean premiere of Sarah Kane’s 4:48 Psychosis. During July I will be running my now annual month-long intensive summer training programme at my studio in Llanarth. The international group that gathers at my studio in Llanarth always interacts with and attends CPR’s SUMMER SHIFT events.

I urge the Arts Council of Wales to reconsider this decision. Core funding for CPR should continue as a matter of priority and urgency.

Most Sincerely,


Phillip Zarrilli
Author: Acting Reconsidered, Making the Body All Eyes, Kathakali Dance-Drama, Psychophysical Acting (forthcoming).

No comments: