Friday 29 February 2008

Phillip Mackenzie - Director Sherman Youth Theatre, Wales

Dear Richard and Judie,

I am still in a state of shock and utter disbelief to hear of ACW planned withdrawal of CPR funding.

The CPR contribution to the cultural and artistic life of Wales and its artists is immeasurable. Its invisible tentacles have reached, inspired and touched so many, for so long and with so much.

Personally it created and provided me with opportunities and encounters with an array of extraordinary artists and thinkers from across the globe, that inform all that I do in the theatre today. It introduced myself and many of my contemporaries to a rich and varied arena of practice and disciplines. Without the CPR these connections and contacts, each with their own unique modes of thinking and doing would never have taken place.

These provocations and stimulations have continually inspired throughout a 30 year career that has allowed me to perform and direct in 17 countries with a myriad of people and communities.

In my present position as Director of Youth Theatre/Young Artist Development at Sherman Cymru I am now able to pass on similar inspirations to our young people here in Wales, our future.

I sincerely hope that I continue to be renewed and receive new inspirations from you, the CPR.

I thank you


Phillip Mackenzie
Performer Cardiff Laboratory Theatre 1980 – 1986
Co Founder/Performer/Director: Man Act 1986 – 1996
Freelance Director: 1997 – 2000
Director Sherman Youth Theatre; 2001 – present.

No comments: